Understanding the Qur’an Today
Download Table of Contents (101 KB)
Download Chapter One : What the Qur'an says and what people make it say (123 KB)
Download Chapter Two : The created and the uncreated (116 KB)
Download Chapter Three : Understanding the Qur'an (113 KB)
Download Chapter Four : The historical setting for Revelation (114 KB)
Download Chapter Five : The beginning of Revelation (148 KB)
Download Chapter Six : The Qur'an in its historical context (114 KB)
Download Chapter Seven : The Qur'an in the time of Creation (132 KB)
In Islam, there is a long tradition of interpretation regarding the meaning and significance of Divine revelation, reflecting a plurality of views.
This book argues that whereas God transcends time, His Word is inscribed within time. It is not a monologue, but a living exchange, through which God reveals to His Prophet different orders of truth, weaving together the absolute and the relative, the general and the particular, the eternal and the contingent.
An international bestseller, Understanding the Qur’an Today offers a contemporary perspective on one of the world’s most influential texts and adds an invaluable contribution to the debate on Islam and modernity.
Table of Contents
1. What the Qur’an says and what people make it say
2. The created and the uncreated
3. Understanding the Qur’an
4. The historical setting for Revelation
5. The beginnings of Revelation
6. The Qur’an in its historical context
7. The Qur’an in the time of Creation
8. Text and context
9. God replies to the arguments of the polytheists
10. God orders combat against the polytheists
11. God replies to the arguments of the Jews
12. God replies to the arguments of the Christians
13. God cares for the Muslim community
14. God guides His Messenger
15. Verses concerning the person of the Prophet
16. Verses concerning the contemporaries of the Prophet
17. Verses concerning historical events
18. The abrogated verses
19. Circumstances and causes
20. Yesterday and today
Aga Khan University-ISMC; Saqi Books, London, 2013
Qurʼan, Qurʼanic teaching
, Bond, D.
(2013). Understanding the Qur’an Today, p. 176.
Available at: https://ecommons.aku.edu/uk_ismc_series_volumes/4