Exploring use of mobile phones technology in learning mathematics at secondary school level in Karachi
Date of Award
Master of Education (M. Ed.)
Professional Development Centre, Karachi
Mobile phone has become an integral functional part of our society. Also, according to recent the PTA report, the penetration rate of mobile phones Tele-density in Pakistan has reached to 73.9% per annum. Hence, capitalizing on this phenomenon a research study was conducted. That explored students’ perceptions about mobile phones and their effective use particularly in Mathematics at secondary schools in Karachi, using a mixed methods sequential approach. The research adopted a survey methodology followed by pure action research. Data were collected through survey questionnaires, interviews, Students’ sample work, their comments via SMS and class observation. Based on the key findings of the reconnaissance stage, that showed that on an average basis, 70% of the students had a personal mobile phone, 94 out of 119 students’ use SMS and 76 students preferred to play games on MP regularly on daily basis. 63% students had experience of using MPs for more than one year and the rest of 37% students had experience of less than a year. Also many students (M=3.14) were uncertain about Mathematics learning using SMS application and equally a large number (M=3.16) of students were uncertain about learning through videos. An action research plan was prepared to involve students in learning Mathematics using mobile phones through digitized lessons content in the real classroom contexts. The study developed and used digitized learning materials using SMS, MMS, video clips, camera and pictures. The students used their own mobile phones for the execution of all assigned tasks. The study establishes that; a) Students’ perceive MPs as Interacting, Communicating, Mathematical Learning and Problem Solving tool; b) Students found mobile phones as a tool for improving mathematical skills, collaborative and self-learning, exploring Mathematics individually and collectively, and a tool that connected their classroom learning with their real life experiences and c) Mobile phones help teachers in spot teaching, feedback and assessments. Hence, mobile phone can be used to benefit students’ mathematics learning through adequate teachers’ preparation, parents’ support and policy provisions on the effective integration of m-learning in the teaching and learning processes at all levels.
Sultan, S. (2014). Exploring use of mobile phones technology in learning mathematics at secondary school level in Karachi (Unpublished master's dissertation). Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan.
This document is available in the relevant AKU library