Treatment options for paediatric brainstem gliomas
Paediatric brainstem gliomas (BSGs) can be classified broadly into two distinct categories: focal brainstem gliomas (FBSGs) and diffuse intrinsic pontine gliomas (DIPG). The former account for 20% of paediatric BSGs and are mostly indolent lesions with good prognosis. DIPGs constitute the remaining 80%, and are highly aggressive, malignant tumours having a dismal prognosis; being the foremost cause of death in children with brain tumours. Their poor response to treatment regimens is further complicated by their localization in eloquent brainstem areas, thereby making it difficult to establish a standardized framework of therapeutic intervention. In this review, the authors catalogue and appraise current treatment modalities utilized in the management of paediatric BSGs including steroid use, chemotherapy, radiotherapy, and surgery.
Publication ( Name of Journal)
JPMA. The Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association
Khan, D. A.,
(2019). Treatment options for paediatric brainstem gliomas. JPMA. The Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, 69(9), 1399-1401.
Available at: https://ecommons.aku.edu/pakistan_fhs_mc_surg_neurosurg/205