Mathematics education in east Africa: Towards harmonization and enhancement of education quality
Download Full Text
This Open Access book is a valuable resource for policymakers and practitioners as it brings insights mainly from developing countries where relatively less research activity takes place. It is also a valuable resource for courses in mathematics education in the teacher education colleges, and departments of education in the sub-Saharan Africa region.
In the increasingly global and technological world mathematics is seen as a significant gatekeeper of opportunities for social and economic advancement and mobility. Hence, countries and development agencies in the broader sub-Saharan Africa region are looking towards increasing access to relevant and high-quality secondary education as a lever towards economic development. Policy makers and other key decision makers in education look towards improvement in mathematics teaching and learning as a key focus in education reform. In the East Africa region also a number of initiatives have been taken at the national level in the respective countries to improve the quality of mathematics education. This book provides an in-depth comparative analysis of the developments and issues in mathematics education in Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Uganda, and advances our understanding of the state of secondary mathematics education in East Africa.
Table of Contents
- Issues for Quality Enhancement and Harmonization of Education in East Africa
- Towards a Harmonized Curriculum in East Africa: A Comparative Perspective of the Intended Secondary School Mathematics Curriculum in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda
- Achievement in Mathematics: Comparative Analysis from East Africa
- Teaching and Learning Mathematics: Insights from Classrooms in East Africa
- Mathematics Teacher Training in East Africa
- ICT Integration in Mathematics Teaching and Learning: Insights from East Africa
- Correction to: Mathematics Education in East Africa
SpringerBriefs in Education
Mathematics curriculum development, mathematics education in sub-Saharan Africa, challenges in teaching and learning mathematics, harmonizing mathematics education in diverse settings, state of mathematics education in sub-Saharan Africa, potentials in sub-Saharan African math education, pitfalls in sub-Saharan African math education
, Tennant, G. D.
(2016). Mathematics education in east Africa: Towards harmonization and enhancement of education quality, p. 80.
Available at: https://ecommons.aku.edu/books/103