Non-compliance with anti-epileptic drug treatment results in recurrent seizures and visits to the emergency departments of the hospitals has been identified as a social and economic problem. The aim of this study was to determine the prevalence of epileptic patients with non-compliance of anti-epileptic drugs and the understanding of patients living with epilepsy who presented to the emergency department with seizures. A descriptive study design was employed and the data-collection tools were a questionnaire for this study. The average age of the study population was 46 years. There was 60% males and 40% females in this study. Non-compliance of anti-epileptic drugs was found to be in 53 patients out of a total of 225 resulting in the frequency of 23%. Stratification of patients with non-compliance showed that incidence of non-compliance was more frequent in males since frequency in males was 63% and in females frequency of non-compliance was only 37%. So major causes of non-compliance should be adressed both in males and females to manage this diseases in the region.
Bano, Safia and Numan, Ahsan
"Frequency of non-compliance of antiepileptic drugs among patients with epilepsy,"
Pakistan Journal of Neurological Sciences (PJNS): Vol. 10:
4, Article 3.
Available at: https://ecommons.aku.edu/pjns/vol10/iss4/3