Pathology and Microbiology
OBJECTIVE: To assess the knowledge, attitude and practices of HCWs regarding needle stick injuries at the Aga Khan University Hospital.
METHODS: A cross-sectional study was conducted on medical personnel. A structured pre-tested questionnaire was administered during June-July 2003. The data was analysed by SPSS 13.0. Percentages of the categorical variables were computed and compared by Chi square test at a 5% level of significance. Odds ratios and their 95% CIs were also computed.
RESULTS: Of 80 participants, 29 were doctors and 51 were registered nurses. About 45% reported having a needle stick injury in the past. Frequency of injury was significantly higher among doctors (p < 0.001). The most common reason identified was stress or being over burdened followed by careless attitude. More than 50% of the injuries occurred while injecting or drawing blood samples. The risk of getting infections was well known amongst both the groups. Two third of participants were familiar with the prevention protocols and practices of nurses were generally safer than doctors (p < 0.001).
CONCLUSION: Despite knowing the risks, frequency of needle stick injury was generally higher especially among doctors reflecting bad practice and careless attitude towards work. Mandatory reporting, proper follow-up and constant reinforcement are recommended to reduce the rate of nosocomial transmission to health care workers.
Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association
(2008). Knowledge, attitudes and practices of health care workers regarding needle stick injuries at a tertiary care hospital in Pakistan. Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, 58(2), 57-60.
Available at: https://ecommons.aku.edu/pakistan_fhs_mc_pathol_microbiol/49