Title

Copper sulphate toxicity in a young male complicated by methemoglobinemia, rhabdomyolysis and renal failure

Document Type

Case Report

Department

Pathology and Laboratory Medicine; Pathology and Microbiology; Internal Medicine

Abstract

Copper sulphate is a compound prepared by the action of sulphuric acid on copper II. Copper sulphate is widely used asfungicide, herbicide and for photography. In a human being, it can lead to anemia. Medical literature is lacking regarding accidental or suicidal poisoning cases of copper sulphate in Pakistan. We present a case of accidental ingestion of copper sulphate resulting in severe acute toxicity, which was successfully managed by intensive supportive measures and Dimercaprol (BAL).

Publication

Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons--Pakistan : JCPSP

Share

COinS