It is common practice for patients admitted to Intensive Care Units to have indwelling intravenous cannulae. Sometimes these cannulae are used only for the administration of drugs and are closed otherwise. Residual drugs in the deadspace of these intravenous cannulae as well as connected stoppers or 3-way stopcocks can later be flushed unknowingly. We would like to report a case in which inadvertent flushing of residual pancuronium caused complete muscle paralysis and respiratory arrest in a young child.
Publication ( Name of Journal)
JPMA. The Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association
Naqvi, H. I.
(2002). Respiratory arrest in a child after flushing of pancuronium from the dead space of intravenous cannula. JPMA. The Journal of the Pakistan Medical Association, 52(10), 487-488.
Available at: https://ecommons.aku.edu/pakistan_fhs_mc_anaesth/96