Event Title

Socio-Demographic Differences in Distribution of Risk Factors for Hemorrhagic and Ischemic Stroke in a Tertiary Care Hospital

Presenter Information

Dr Tariq Feroz Memon

Location

Lecture Hall-3

Start Date

27-2-2014 10:05 AM

Description

Background: According to world health organization (WHO) estimates, approx. 15 million people have a stroke in the world annually. One third of them people die within one year and one third suffer disability permanently. Over 85% of Stroke related deaths happen in low- and middle-income countries which are also home of majority of communicable as well non-communicable diseases. Stroke is very common disorder in Pakistan and one of the major causes of morbidity and mortality. The incidence of stroke has not been well studied in Pakistan but it is estimated that 350,000 cases of stroke occur per year.

Objective: This study was aimed to estimate the frequency of potential risk factors of Ischemic/Hemorrhagic strokes and to look for the associations of both types of stroke with Hypertension, Age and Cardio vascular diseases among the patients admitted of Liaquat University Hospital in Hyderabad, Sindh, Pakistan.

Material and methods:The quantitative study was hospital-based cross-sectional survey. This was performed among patients of either sex who were of more than 25 years of age admitted to the Liaquat University Hospital Hyderabad, Sindh during June 15th, 2010 through September 15th, 2010 and were diagnosed as Stroke were included in the study. CT-Scan was used to identify and confirm the diagnosis. A well prepared pre-designed written questionnaire was used to collect patient’s information. Results: A total of 261 patients were admitted or came to outpatient department during the 3 months time period and were confirmed diagnosed as Stroke. The proportion of males 141(54%) and females 120 (46%) were diagnosed as stroke. Ischemic Stroke was found among 66% of study participants while the remaining 34% had Hemorrhagic Stroke. 57.5% of patients were hypertensive, followed by cardio vascular disease (27%). Hypertension, age, hyperlipidemia, cardiovascular diseases, high systolic blood pressure and education were found as significant risk factors for both types of strokes

Conclusion: This study had shown that both Hemorrhagic as well as Ischemic is more common among the age group 55-64 years. Hypertension is found to me important potential risk factor. Education about stroke and its risk factors on community level by the health care centers and training should be given to health professional. In addition qualitative study is also suggested to evaluate people’s knowledge about stroke and its potential risk factors.

Keywords: Ischemic Stroke, Hypertension, Hemorrhagic Stroke

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS
 
Feb 27th, 10:05 AM Feb 27th, 10:15 AM

Socio-Demographic Differences in Distribution of Risk Factors for Hemorrhagic and Ischemic Stroke in a Tertiary Care Hospital

Lecture Hall-3